A recognized Keratoconus Expert Requirements to be labeled an expert in Keratoconus
1. Passion and caring Keratoconus is a lifelong disease. It starts in early child hood and relentlessly progresses like a wildfire during the teenage years. As one reaches their twenties, it slows the bulging and weakening of the cornea. It gets contained around the forties. So foremost for a doctor to become a keratoconus expert love for the patient is required. This expert has to deal with kids and yes teenagers! Great bedside manners are needed to deal with the older age group.
2. Residency in Ophthalmology in an accredited US based training Program After finishing medical school of 4 years duration, a doctor has to first to do a year of internship. If he is very good in his work and current eye surgeons feel he is of great caliber than he is accepted into a 3 year residency in eye surgery. He learns about medical management of eye diseases. Then he also performs cornea surgery.
3. Fellowship in Cornea from a prestigious University. Very few people can get accepted into training in a University based cornea fellowship program. The eye surgeon has to do research, get it published. He learns the skills of cornea surgery including management of keratoconus treatment.
4. Certification and Training in Intacs, cornea crosslinking, cornea transplant Intacs are FDA approved and are manufactured by Addition technology with an office in Illinois. They require every surgeon to undergo a didactic training program. A lab with surgery on non human eyes is conducted. Proctoring is essential on first human cases. Similarly, a trained CXL expert can only impart knowledge to a eye doctor wanted to perform cornea cross linking.
5. Experience and Skill in Management of Keratoconus. The surgeon you will entrust your vision to should have performed numerous surgical treatments of keratoconus. Evidence of this would be in you tube video testimonials, written testimonials, and online reviews from previous keratoconus patients.
6. Knowledge of Research of keratoconus eye disease. An expert in Keratoconus has to be upto date with the latest clinical and laboratory research in the subject of keratoconus. Around the world people are researching into causes and treatment of keratoconus. One procedure cannot fix all. Therefore rather than only focusing on or inventing one type of treatment, he needs to be aware of various newer approaches. He has to follow the research so that you can save your time avoiding doing it. He has to use his judgment to see which of the newer modalities will turn out to be good. In the United States its important to work with FDA. Non FDA approaches are not considered to be the right tactic.